Few queries regarding dataminer cloud. Appreciate your advice
- Can we use a custom port instead of port 443?
Is this understanding/flow correct?
- User will access the dashboard through Dataminer Cloud (dataminer.services) through public network(internet) – No direct access to the system?
- Dataminer cloud will communicate with dataminer server (local) only through the specific port (443 for now) for data exchange. The request must pass through firewall first?
To answer your first question: It is not possible to specify a custom port for the communication between the CloudGateway and dataminer.services. This communication is HTTPS and WSS based, so we chose to use the default HTTPS port.
To answer your second question:
- Users can access a dashboard through dataminer.services via public internet (after completing the necessary authentication and authorization steps of course), so there is no need for the user to have direct access to the DataMiner System.
- You are correct that dataminer.services will only communicate over HTTPS /WSS using port 443 for data exchange.
- The network schema you shared is for a DMZ setup where the CloudGateway is installed on a DMZ server instead of along side with a DMA. This DMZ setup implies that there is at least 1 firewall present, but DataMiner does not require the presence of a firewall for the cloud connection to function properly.
I'm not sure about the details on the ports, but I can confirm already that indeed when you use the dashboard sharing, then the user will access the dashboard through DataMiner Cloud / dataminer.services (from the public internet). The user will authenticate and identify himself on the DataMiner Cloud (with their DataMiner Cloud account - which needs of course a matching e-mail address with the one that you shared with), and will get his live dashboard there.
For any of the cloud services (dashboard sharing, Teams integration, STaaS, catalog services, etc.), the DataMiner cloud services will communicate back to your DataMiner System via that single cloud connection.
You can try it if you like. On DataMiner Dashboard share - DataMiner Dojo you will see a few dashboards from a DataMiner System here at Skyline. If you click the button below it, it will automatically make that DataMiner System share that dashboard with you. You will receive a mail to confirm that dashboard share, with a link in it to that dashboard on dataminer.services. You will be able to access it with your DataMiner Cloud account (that you use here to access the community also).
More information on Dashboard Sharing: DataMiner Sharing | DataMiner Docs