We understand that Skyline is currently developing a solution to natively support the automatic backups of external Cassandra Nodes. However, below questions could help clarify the scope and reach of the solution:
- What is the ETA for the delivery of the out-of-the-box external Cassandra Node/Cluster backup solution?
- Would the process be similar to the one used for onboard Cassandra nodes? Would it be included in a DataMiner release? We are trying to understand the complexity of deployment & usability of the features
- Will this process also target the indexing engine (Elastic) nodes/cluster?
What do we have:
- Since DataMiner 10.0.13 we distribute a tool that allows for backup/restore of your ElasticSearch cluster. All details can be found here.
- There is another tool CassandraBackup.exe in your tools folder, but this one still needs to be added to the tool section here on the community, for the setup where there is a Cassandra node per DMA and the DMA and database are hosted on the same OS (typical case).
- For the new Cassandra cluster functionality, the tooling still needs to be created and will replace the previous tool mentioned.
Just to be clear, there are currently no plans to integrate the backup/restore functionality of the database in our default backup package. The reason is that it would make your backup package too large, next to that we won't always have access to the files/OS as the database nodes could be hosted externally.